In a message dated 9/11/2007 3:25:12 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
[EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:

--- In  AsburyPark@yahoogroups.com, "Kevin Brown" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>  wrote:

> I think it comes from the time when this country was  first founded.
> Bible toting people formed the Nation Under  God.

Under a Creator. The founding fathers were deists and not  church-going
men as a whole.

And those who were not theists or deists were extremely skeptical of
organized religion, having suffered under monarchs who claimed Divine  Right.
Even
mainstrean Protestism was suspicious Catholics and the  allegiance to the Dogma
proclaimed by the Vatican and any religionists who  assumed to intervene
between God and any individual person.

The Dutch capitalistist/settlers under Peter Stuyvesant fought  any laws
based on religion as a practical matter: it would interfere with  their
multicultural worldwide  trading.