Ahh...now we're talking! Maybe a little Georger Porter and Art
Neville action? I used to see Leo Nocentelli at the Village
Underground in NY. That guy can lay it down. Now I've got to go dig
up my Meters bootlegs. ;)

Nicole did grow up in Neptune (proper, not City), but she lives on
Cookman now, so it's not just a selling point. Hopefully she won't
have too many expectations put on her though. The scene has always
been more than one person.

--- In AsburyPark@yahoogroups.com, "sharon_b283" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:

> I think so-called Smooth Jazz, ISN'T!  Being from New Orleans, I'm
> partial to Fushion, part Funk and part Beat!  Funky-Beat, get it?
> Dixieland is way too slow for me, except when played in a funeral
> dirge, which the musicians do, there!  I love Quincy Jones, George
> Duke and Bob James; like that!  That crap that they played on CD
> 101.9, now off the air, put me to sleep!  Play anything and call it
> Jazz, was the message to me!  Come out today and see Tom Browne or
Roy
> Ayers.  They do NOT play Smooth Jazz, but can bring their funky
beat,
> down, when needed!  I miss the old 92-KTU, Club Music, that vibrated
> from my house!  Nicole is from Neptune City!  Like Bruce, it sounds
> better to say Asbury Park or Freehold!
>
> --- In AsburyPark@yahoogroups.com, "Jack Pitzer" <hinge98@> wrote:
> >
> > Asbury Park doesn't want it's musical heritage to continue beyond
> Bruce Springsteen.
> > We're headed toward "smooth" everything when it comes to music.
> > This is despite the fact that The Saint, Asbury Lanes and The
Stone
> Pony continue to
> > provide a link to new, original and exciting music, but the city
> itself does little to tout that.
> > We have an artist living right here in AP who's making waves all
> over the world, Nicole
> > Atkins. You've heard her music in commercials, she's been on
> Letterman and Conan. She's
> > right in the same genre as people like Amy Winehouse and other
> artists who fuse a
> > retro/cinematic sound, yet she plays at the Stone Pony and only 40
> people show up. To
> > me, she should be an inspiration as to what one accomplishes if
you
> dedicate yourself to
> > it, which is exactly what she has done. She comes from Neptune,
but
> her performance
> > roots are right here in AP.
>

> You have every right to be into what you're into, whether it be
Rock,