Well, I think I can speak from experience here (as the publisher and
owner of Upstage Magazine for its first four years) -- there is FAR too
much politics around here regarding the venues and where they
advertise.  My publication had an audience that was well within many of
the city magazines throughout the country.  We also placed our copies
free in music-related towns from Asbury Park to New Brunswick (far
enough to reach a good number of people, but all within a 40 mile
radius, so people could go from show to show) and our online audience
had numbers that rivaled or surpassed the entertainment sections of the
major papers.  So, we had a good readership and the numbers people
should have been interested in.

What I found is that there were venues that absolutely would not
advertise because their friend owned a different paper, venues that
continued to look towards the daily paper to reach an audience of under
25 year olds that were no longer turning to daily papers, and those who
simply didn't advertise nearly in the same manner as venues around the
country do.

This is a very strange area.  Elsewhere, venues would feel the need to
advertise in EVERY city/entertainment paper.  Around here, they don't.
I never understood it and it almost drove me crazy for a few years.
That's why I got out of the business.