You're so right Sharon.
That is exactly how we think when we think of NYC or Paris, etc. It's
the Empire State Building, the Met, Lincoln Center, or the Louvre not
how many residences there are, or gosh can I get a condo there? You
go to see stuff and do stuff - and leave money behind. If these great
cities have done their job right, on your way back you're already
thinking about how soon you can return.
And, yes, the city does have opposing purposes to the rights holder
and the redevelopers. That's why they're not supposed to be so damn
cozy. Sure the mutual goal is to move forward, but the city has to
keep the public good in the fore at all times. Just as the developers
have to keep their bottom lines at the forefront of their concerns.
There's nothing sinister here - just separate purposes. It has worked
for years in journalism - we call it adversarial relationships. It's
healthier for the public. The city is in an adversarial role with the
developers. The city has to figure how many services -- especially
safety services -- it can bring to residents for the tax revenue it's
bringing in. And it has to do that without raising taxes.
Actually, I think the council is finally realizing all of this. You
don't see them at many of the developer-related events. But it's way
too late to get a fair deal for the city. It's pretty much whatever
the developers decide to throw from the table.
Does anyone see where we have any leverage left?
I mean even if we ran 5 new people next year, what is there to pick
up and run with?
Maureen

--- In AsburyPark@yahoogroups.com, "sharon_b283" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:

> ...And I agree with BOTH of you.  Why do people flock to Paris?  To
> see the Eiffel Tower, Notre Dame, Monmartre, the Champs Elysee,
etc.
> Just why DID people delight in Asbury Park, for decades?  The
> Amusements and the relaxing air, back when a stroll was considered
> exercise.  Women wore their bustles and sported beautiful hats and
> umbrellas and enjoyed majestic scenery, sipped tea, recalling
another era.

> When we think of New York, it's the Empire State Building, Broadway,
> 42nd St. and Grand Central Station, just to name a few.  Asbury
Park,
> was once home to grand theatres, symphonic bands and churches, a
> really cultured place.  All gone!  People moving in want South
Beach,
> public transportation, which is almost nil, here, save for the train
> station.  The nearest supermarkets are in Ocean Township and
Neptune.

> I am for a Whole Foods that sell quality and organic foods.  I am
for
> reviving the movie theatres, if this is to be a year round
community.
>  I think that MM, Asbury Partners and even the former Carabetta
> enterprises, now defunct, after bankruptcy, had good motives, but
> their bottom line is profit!  I don't blame them, but our history
and
> architedture have paid a heavy price in the name of "progress".
>
> What about the West Side?
>
> --- In AsburyPark@yahoogroups.com, "njshoregirlap"
> <wonderwomanator@> wrote:
> >
> > --- In AsburyPark@yahoogroups.com, "wernerapnj" <wernerapnj@>
wrote:

> > > --- In AsburyPark@yahoogroups.com, "njshoregirlap"

> photo
> against

> > > You're barking up the wrong tree, pissing in the wind, etc, etc
> > >
> > > I've been at this for decades, Asbury Park is seriously
dysfunctional
> > > and the simplest of obvious things are impossible.
> > >
> > > Werner
> > >
> > Werner, I respect your experience, and perserverence in the face
of
> > strong opposition.  I know quite well that I'm pissing in the
wind,
> > but some things just stick out so blatantly that even a tired old
> > warrior like myself can't contain herself and has to put her 2
cents
> > in.  I know I'm basically preaching to a small choir, but there
are a
> > few newbies who may be converted.  I get irritated when I read
all the
> > everything is wonderful posts, when some of these posters don't
know
> > the history of the architecture of AP.  Sure, it is great that
there
> > is foot traffic on the boards, and life is coming back to a dead
> > space.  But at what price.  Europeans value their architectural
> > history.  There were real opportunities for funding from the
National