--- In AsburyPark@yahoogroups.com, "wernerapnj" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:

> What we are going to get is graffiti passed off as urban art or
murals.

> Just what kind of "signage or decorative archietctural elements"
could
>  cure the bad design of those blank stucco walls. What's needed are
> windows and doors, that's what creates a human scale and feel to
> buildings.
>
> Doing a windowless wall well architecturally is not easy. They knew
> how to do it in the 1930s, just look at the front of the Paramount
> Theater. But this is 2007 where Fake Classical and Strip Mall stucco
> as all the rage. :-(
>
> Werner

well im not saying that anything could "cure" those walls... they are
poorly done, and without reason.  windows could have even
be "falsified" or metal accents could have been put in their place
for continuity. (i'll try to think of some examples of this as the
day goes on, there are lots of buildings that do this) but
unfortunately there are not many who design like that today... form
follows function is the way most people go, and thats not necessarily
the best way to go about everything. in this case it left blank
barren and averagely done stucco walls (you can see the uneven
surfaces in certain lighting). in this case, the form following the
function of the interior of the building left ugly barren blank
walls.  the designer chose to use one color for every pavilion to
compliment the cream colored stucco, and they put those colors on the
blank walls to try to, i guess, "hide" them or make people think they
have a purpose... but they are blocky and very plain.

awnings and shades and canopys are going to be placed on every
building... the cutouts for where those will be placed are visible on
every pavilion. there might be some other accents in the form of
lights or signage for stores that could occupy those blank walls
since they will stand out, but i havent noticed any electrical access
left on those walls so i doubt it would be something of that
nature... but we shall see.

like i said 50/50 so far... theyre better than what was there, but
the architecture is very very subpar. i appreciate the shops and
stores much more than the buildings. and the 5th ave pavilions
appearance saddens me.