Would "running a zPDT" system mean running z System Development and Test
Environment (ZD&T)? I thought that was only for development and testing.

Also, I have a hard time understanding ZD&T.

I need to test IMS online transactions, but I don't want them to run in the
real IMS environment.  I think there are few options for this:

- Micro Focus Enterprise Developer (MFED)
- ZD&T

IBM Developer for z/OS (IDz) is out because it runs the tests on the real z/OS
system, which would interfere with other users not to mention corrupt the
databases.

But the problem with ZD&T, as far as I can tell, is:

- Requires Linux
- Costs twice as much as MFED
- Since it is an emulation of z Systems, doesn't that mean that you have to be
a z Systems system programmer/administrator to install and manage it?

I mean, I know how to assemble, link, and execute HLASM programs on z/OS. I
don't know how to install the assembler, binder, or JES on z/OS nor any of the
other myriad things the IT department is doing.

Is the only purpose of ZD&T to be used to test z/OS images as an alternative to
testing on an actual LPAR (or in VM)? Meaning, you're someone that can install
z/OS on an LPAR, but you're going to put it on a Linux machine instead.