On Thu, May 28, 2009 at 7:29 PM, Bob Copeland <m...@bobcopeland.com> wrote:
> On Thu, May 28, 2009 at 02:51:03PM -0700, Luis R. Rodriguez wrote:
>> So in short, if you have a card configured to world roam, then setting
>> your regulatory domain to US will only help you comply further, it
>> will not amp your TX power settings. The EEPROM settings are
>> respected.
>
> It seems like unexpected behavior to me; I would rather expect that
> the most recent regulatory setting would just be taken verbatim

Since we do allow users to override the regulatory domain this would
mean trusting blindly what the user says and for ath5k/ath9k/ar9170
that would mean disregarding completely what has been programmed into
the EEPROM.

We allow for device drivers to make use of their own regulatory
framework and respect it. If a driver does not have a regulatory
framework to make use of then sensible values are used  (world
regulatory domain) and a user can specify where he is to enable his
device further. If the driver does have a regulatory framework though
we respect it by treating user input as a way to further comply, but
not to mandate new settings.

> (up to some limit imposed by the driver if need be).

This already exists for ath5k/ath9k as well so you don't go busting your card.

>  Can we do
> that instead?

If you mean to disregard the EEPROM completely, no. If a vendor cares
about compliance and is willing to do the work for it it should be
possible for them to work on it.

  Luis