On Fri, May 29, 2009 at 05:26:51AM -0700, Bob Copeland wrote:
> On Thu, May 28, 2009 at 08:30:01PM -0700, Luis R. Rodriguez wrote:
> > Since we do allow users to override the regulatory domain this would
> > mean trusting blindly what the user says and for ath5k/ath9k/ar9170
> > that would mean disregarding completely what has been programmed into
> > the EEPROM.
>
> Well, yeah, but maybe the user does know better (e.g. if they bought
> their card overseas).

Sure.

> We let users change all other aspects of channel
> setup but not power -- why is it special?

Actually we don't. The original programmed settings are
*always* respected.

> Anyway, I don't care too strongly about it, but it seems Atheros use
> world roaming so much that the eeprom value is often meaningless.

Most of the cards I've used or tested are for the US actually.

Either way -- Atheros is not the only vendor which abides by this,
try to look at the big picture. This is more of an architectural design question
on the Atheros cards in consideration for regulatory compliance. If regulatory
laws made it clear that trusting the user blindly is 100% possible I think
you would have seen this embraced by many vendors, its just not the case
today and its actually is one motivation for some vendors to not open up
their drivers under fear uncertainty and doubt.

  Luis