2009/6/1 omniprese...@wired® <omniwi...@gmail.com>:
> Date: Sat, 30 May 2009 14:21:14 +0100
> From: Albert Gall <ss3...@gmail.com>
> Subject: Re: [ath5k-devel] problem with senao (EPI-3601S) 600mW card
> To: ath5k-devel@lists.ath5k.org
>
> Hi
>
> I have this card.
> You need a regdomain allowing this, latest compat-wireless, latest crda,
> latest wireless-regdb and ath_info tool from madwifi.
>
> First download the wireless interface:
>
> # ip link set wlan0 down
>
> or
>
> # ifconfig wlan0 down
>
> Retrieve the module's PCI memory address with lspci:
>
> # lspci -v
> 02:06.0 Ethernet controller: Atheros Communications Inc. Atheros
> AR5001X+ Wireless Network Adapter (rev 01)
>       Subsystem: Atheros Communications Inc. TRENDnet TEW-443PI
> Wireless PCI Adapter
>       Flags: bus master, medium devsel, latency 168, IRQ 16
> here --> Memory at ff5e0000 (32-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=64K]
>
> Set regdomain to 0x55:
>
> # ./ath_info -w ff5e0000 regdomain 0x55
>
> Now download ath5k:
>
> # modprobe -r ath5k
>
> Finally :
>
> # modprobe cfg80211 ieee80211_regdom=BZ && sleep 2s && COUNTRY="BZ"
> crda && modprobe -v ath5k
>
> # iw list
>

> Thank you, I did what you told me. And now I see that I have 30 dBm max
> this is my *new* "iw reg get"
> country BZ:
>        (2402 - 2482 @ 40), (N/A, 30)
>        (5735 - 5835 @ 40), (N/A, 30)
> Other tools also say I have 30 dBm Max.
>
> But the problems continues because I don't see any power improvements.
> I once again played with this
> #define AR5K_TUNE_MAX_TXPOWER
> which is in the ath5k.h file. And set it to 600.
>
> All this using the 31/May/2009 driver.
>
> What else can I try to get the maximum power in Linux?
>
> Thank you so much for your help!

a) AR5K_TUNE_MAX_TXPOWER is in 1/2 dB units so 600 will have no
effect, max gain hw can support is 31.5dB so current value (63) is the
max value, you can only tweak this to lower max power not to increase
it.

b) Your current channel/rate might have a lower power limit than the
power you are trying to set. The specs sheet you posted on the first
post mentions that you only get 27dBm on b rates and 26dBm on 6-24 g
rates. For 54Mb/sec the max power according to specs is 22dBm so you
won't get higher than that. If you try to go higher you'll get
spectral mask distortion and you won't be able to transmit anything.

c) How do you measure the output power ? Do you have a spectrum
analyzer, a power meter or another wi-fi card ?

--
GPG ID: 0xD21DB2DB
As you read this post global entropy rises. Have Fun ;-)