* Dan Brickley <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> [2005-05-23 16:40]:
> It would be good if Atom were clear on whether repetition of
> the exact same name implies the two authors are distinct (eg.
> things written by father/son pairings, where they have same
> name).

Doesn’t seem to me like there should be any implication. Any
user interface that presents a list of authors which contains
identically named, but distinct authors will have to somehow
disambiguate them in order to avoid confusing the user sooner or
later. If a publisher wants to be certain of a particular
interpretation he will need to make the elements distinct anyway.

I was going to mention that there are two other elements in
atom:author besides atom:name, but now that I think about it I’m
not sure if two elements with identical content in the atom:name
element but divergent information in the others can automatically
be thought of as referring to different authors or not. I think
it is intuitive and should be implied that they are different
authors, though, even if they are different only in the sense
that they refer to the same physical person acting in different
roles. I suppose that in this way, a meaningful, though
application-specific subset of the semantics offered by allowing
atom:category in these elements would be implementable.

Whatever it is, I don’t see a strong case for prescribing a
any particular interpretation here.

Aristotle