Re: Computer hardware upgrades and tinkering question

Hi.
well on the computer side I did a basic informational systems course back in the day.
There is a podcast on coolblindtech.com which addresses assembling an atx case.
The mini atx is one of the ultra small desktop towers.
The guy that did this was blind or at least partly so so there is hope.
However I'd imagine he had to have at least some vision to see things.
The only thing he had real trouble with was the cabling, and also installing some componants in the right place without sighted help since some of this was difficult.
He had to do a lot of the hardware installing preinstalling the main board and had to ground himself all the time.
Unless you do feel confident about mucking round in there I wouldn't touch it.
I have on 2 occations munkied round with systems.
The first was with my dad on a project to upgrade and overclock one of the older systems.
Never again!
Yes I got it together but I was stuck in a hot room for the next day and a half trying to find the right drivers  for everything.
On dialup!
The other time My friend and I pulled apart the home computer to try to get it hotrodded.
Lets just say we shoved stuff here and there and put it together, but obviously we did something wrong because it had some issues.
After plugging in things right again, resetting the bios and then reformatting as nothing would work the system became a junk pile and had to be taken to be fixed and we were banned from ever doing that again and so well.
Now as far as pulling things apart I have a vary clear idea where ports go bar the round audio cables and stuff.
To be honest don't touch what you don't have to.
There are enough builders and such around that you don't need to have a relationship with your hardware.
And if you get a good one then its no trouble.
I have enough trouble with the network's software these days because eve n though its mostly the same there are still issues.
I guess though if I was able to pull apart and put together again a computer and get that intimate with my system I would.
But the only other time that anyone tried that was when my dad decided to have a go at the dust of the main system with an compresser.
Most of the time he got it right but one time, the first time he managed to well at least I think managed to scrape or at least dammage one of the mutherboard chips or something because shortly after that the system failed and  didn't start again.
Though the tv card probably was on the way out, it didn't help that the system was super cleaned.