Re: Computer hardware upgrades and tinkering question

Arqmeister, I have repaired and built several computers myself over the years, and I am totally blind. As others have said it is not impossible, but it does require some knowledge of what things feel like, the differences between a IDE and a SADA connection, and so on. Installing DVD drives, hard drives, memory, etc is all pretty easy in of itself.. As SLJ pointed out the only thing I had any serious problems with was installing a new CPU which can be tricky if you have one with several little pins which can get bent, broken, or damaged if not installed correctly. Of course, that differs from processor to processor so there are some easier to install than others.

The way I learned how to do my own computer repairs etc is several years ago I purchased a cheap used computer, and then had my dad disassemble it and show me what every part was. We then reassembled it with me doing most of the work, and my dad helped me put things where they go. Eventually, I was comfortable enoug h to open up my good machines and work on them, because once I had learned the ins and outs of the hardware I was just able to do it on my own.

harrylst, I don't believe anyone is suggesting that hand building a computer is necessarily right for everyone. There are, however, advantages to building your own computer. First, you can buy premium parts, and do not have to settle for cheap inexpensive parts that are often placed in mass produced machines from Dell, HP, and so on. Second, if you have a good working knowledge of how your computer works you will be able to repair it if something gets broken or fails without having to pay a tech to come out and fix it for you. Third, if you have the skills to build a computer you will also have the skills to upgrade it and keep it up to date if you like having the latest components on the market in your system instead of just what the store brands are shipping. Finally, some people such as myself do it for the pure enjoyment of th e experience. Call it a geek thing, but for me computers are not just there to write office documents, browse the web, and play games. I get enjoyment out of custom building them, taking them apart and putting them back together the way I want it, and to basically personalize it the way some men build stock cars and hot rods. If you don't understand the need or desire to customize things then this explanation might be hard to accept, but some people like myself just love doing things our own way instead of just buying some prebuilt computer that will work but does not have my personal touch.