Re: Corona Virus: is it the beginning of the end?

Right, so this topic blew up.

First of all, it's not that much more difficult to smell with a mask on. I wear one for 8 hours a day, five days a week, at work, minus the time that I take a lunch break, so let's say 7 hours and 40 minutes. It's a cloth mask, so perhaps the disposable ones alter that sense a bit differently. I only wore one of those one time, and, while I didn't notice any significant difference, I wasn't paying that much attention at the time, either. The only thing that can suck a lot is when you yawn, or otherwise manage to inhale the smell of your breath through the inside of the thing. Let's just say I've got extra mints on hand for this purpose. Other than that, though, the route I take to the public bus in the afternoon goes past a restaurant, a very good cue as i'm navigating. I've had no problems picking up the smells emanating from the place, nor any other smells, for that matter. Oh, and yes, in 90+ degree weather every day, it really doesn't feel good when you're outside wearing one, but to me, it's a small price to pay. Maybe I'd care more if I was working outside, but I'm in an air-conditioned building, too well-cooled at times if you ask me, so I just don't see it as being such a monumental deal.

I will say that I hate the fact that I seem to be the only person in the world who sounds really stupid while wearing the damn thing, even leading a friend of mine to say it sounds like I got my teeth punched in when I have it on. Ugh. But there again, am I going to let a little insecurity about the way I sound, something I never cared much for in the first place, trump the rights of everyone around me? No, I am not, and it has absolutely nothing to do with the fact that all of us employees are required to wear masks. It's just the right thing to do at this time, unless new guidelines come to light from a trustworthy source which state otherwise.