Re: Sol 1.2 is out with experimental audio mode support

stewie wrote:

Part of the problem, at least for me, is judging my location compared to other objects. I don't actually know what the distance I'm jumping or moving based on the sounds I hear relates to the actual distance between me and an objects. Its hard to tell how fast your character jumps etc.

Yeah, which is also why I want to change the viewport, because it gave finer resolution (at the expense of a smaller range). I got a new build, will try to package and upload it as soon as possible.

I think that multiple clues playing at the same time is part of the problem though, because that seems to screw up horribly with the mixing (in fact, a large reason why the sonar swipes instead of playing everything at the same time is to ease it off on the mixer and letting the brain handle it instead).

stewie wrote:

Why is the menu different when you play in video mode? If you just run it normally you get a level editor option and the menu scrolls left to right. In audio video mode its a normal up/down menu with no level editor option.

The level editor is disabled because it's currently completely unusable in audio mode and I need to prevent people from getting in accidentally and getting stuck. (enabling debug mode will bring it back to the menu, but obvious warning goes here)

As for the menu controls, I've already mentioned it before, that's because in video mode the buttons are arranged in neat layouts and the cursors change the options accordingly. In audio mode that doesn't work because you can't see the layouts, so it rearranges the menus into a plain linear fashion.

EDIT: here we go
Windows: http://sol.azurasun.com/download/soleda … -patch.zip
Linux: http://sol.azurasun.com/download/soleda … tch.tar.gz
Source code (ZIP): http://sol.azurasun.com/download/soleda … source.zip
Source code (TAR): http://sol.azurasun.com/download/soleda … rce.tar.gz

This restores the old viewport which was smaller but way less cluttered. Note that you can press up and down to look up and down (otherwise some parts are practically impossible to see). Honestly though I'm not seeing much hope on this...

I think the problem is that Sol levels are simply way too cluttered and there's no way around this short of making a whole new game from scratch. No matter how I approach this there's just way too much to show but not enough room to mark it all clearly.

  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — General Game Discussion : Sik via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — General Game Discussion : Sik via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — General Game Discussion : Sik via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — General Game Discussion : Sik via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — General Game Discussion : stewie via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — General Game Discussion : Sik via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — General Game Discussion : Sik via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — General Game Discussion : Sik via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — General Game Discussion : chojiro via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — General Game Discussion : Omar Alvarado via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — General Game Discussion : garrett via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — General Game Discussion : Sik via Audiogames-reflector