On Fri, 2005-09-30 at 08:51 -0700, Mike Anderson wrote:
> Well then, is it worth considering that 99% of my input is coming from
> CDs burned at 16 bit, 44khz?  Honestly, how much can you really dress
> that up?

While there is lots of badly engineered CDs at 16/44.1 it does not have
to sound bad. The specs were chosen for some decent reasons. One of the
audiophile magazines a while back took a bunch of SACD and DVD-audio
disks and did frequency analysis of the output, and the majority had
nothing at all above 22kHz. They were clearly the same audio bits as
on the CD.

While CDs will never be "perfect sound forever" they can sound very
good. Of course, I never see my CDs anymore, they are down in the
basement, all my music is on my server delivered by my SqueezeBoxen

I can't help you on the Mac side, I can't spell Mac. But a lot of
people say that iTunes has a very good user interface.

--
Pat
http://www.pfarrell.com/music/slimserver/slimsoftware.html