On Sun, 2005-10-02 at 18:18 -0700, Mike Anderson wrote:
> However, it's still taking somewhere between 5-10 minutes to rip most
> of my CDs.  I've got hundreds of CDs, so it's a major undertaking.
>
> Question:  What am I losing by not running EAC in secure mode?  Doing
> so substantially cuts down on the ripping time.  So how much difference
> does it really make?
>
> Can I use secure mode on those CDs I really care about (about 20% of
> them) and unsecure mode on the rest of them, or would that present
> problems?

Secure mode is reliable but way slow. Too slow for my 700+ cds.
So I did exactly what you suggest, I used EAC for the ones I knew
I cared about, used CDex (essentially EAC in non-secure mode) for the
rest (or grip on linux) and then when I find a problem,
rerip in super anal secure recheck mode with EAC.

Its lots faster that way, and most of the time, I'm happy.
Anytime I'm not, I go downstairs and grab the CD.

--
Pat Farrell
http://www.pfarrell.com