I was recently at a friend's house auditioning his Outlaw Audio LFM-1.
This unit is rated flat to 25Hz. We listened to a variety of music and
also to test tones.

My friend had the subwoofer positioned behind and to the right of us. I
believe he had it crossed-over at 80, or perhaps 100Hz. When he turned
the volume up on the sub (while playing music), I could definitely
percieve an increase in sound energy to my right and behind, not with
pinpoint accuracy, but generally.

Playing test tones was interesting. Unless they've heard a test disc, I
don't think most people realize what a jarring experience it is to
listen to a pure 25Hz tone. It's actually quite uncomfortable,
physically. Furthermore, listening to the range of higher-frequency
test tones revealed that I could change the apparent location of the
source of sound by simply slightly rotating my head or moving forward
or backward a few inches.

I would offer the suggestion that any directionality one percieves from
really low tones, like lowest notes on a pipe organ are due to the
harmonics that are are accompaning it (and making it more palatable). I
think that extended listening to a pure 16Hz tone without the
accompaning harmonics would probably melt your brain, or at least drive
you batty.

--
jonheal

Jon Heal says: