tom permutt wrote:
> pfarrell Wrote:
>
>>Normalizing is not an audiophile thing to do.
>>Nor is it good recording engineering practice.
>
> To be clear, I think Pat is perfectly correct with respect to best
> practice.

Thanks. I did say it quickly becomes theology and not engineering

> My point is just that second-best practice in this case may
> be not at all terrible.  Yes, if you waste a little of the top end of
> the range of sample values when recording, and then multiply everything
> by a constant to get it back, you are multiplying various kinds of noise
> at the low end.  You don't want to add any noise you can help.  I'm just
> saying, the vinyl record, played through modest equipment, already has
> enough noise in it that I, anyway, am not going to notice these
> additional effects.

If you don't notice, you need to spend more money on your
vinyl playback equipment, preamps, cables, etc. so you can be
called a true audiophile.

It is interesting to note that the majority of audiophiles are
men over 30 and most are over 40. Too much rock-n-roll
is likely to have had more impact on the ears and hearing than
a little normalization.

--
Pat Farrell         PRC recording studio
http://www.pfarrell.com/PRC