pfarrell Wrote:
> P Floding wrote:
> > Personally I don't think 16/44 can capture LP properly, although it
> can
> > come close. (Depending on the LP, of course)
We can all state our beliefs here. But how many actual LP transfers
have people done? I've digitised hundreds of LPs over the last 10 years
or so, and my real-world practical experience has been that 16/44.1,
performed with a modicum of care, is more than capable of capturing
everything that comes off the LP. You might argue that my recording
and/or playback setup is not good enough to detect the differences. I'd
hazard a guess that the weakest link in the system is the Naim preamp I
use as a phono preamp, but I'd also hazard a guess that it's rather
better than the phono preamps being used by the majority of hobbyist LP
digitisers.

pfarrell Wrote:
> I was reading the current issue of Stereophile on this very topic
> yesterday. They recommend recording the transfer at 24/88.2 and then
> downconverting for 16/44
Well, if Stereophile says so, it must be true. (I don't have to put in
a smilie here, do I?)

--
cliveb