opaqueice Wrote:
> Huh?  Again, DC has nothing to do with it... even if it were present, it
> would simply slightly shift the equilibrium position of the cones.
> Sound waves (or air flow) are not created by DC.
I don't want to join in the debate over the audibility or otherwise of
absolute polarity, as I have no experience in such experiments, but I
would just like to make a quick point about DC and its effect on
speakers.

It has been stated on a number of occasions in this thread that it's
harmless. Well it isn't. A genuine DC offset emerging from a power
amplifier (which would have to be DC-coupled throughout, of course, ie.
no capacitors in the signal path) is a very effective way to destroy
drive units. The constant non-zero voltage heats up the voice coil, and
if the voltage is high enough, the heat cannot dissipate quickly enough
and the voice coil melts/fuses. This can happen very quickly. The usual
symptom is that you hear a brief "thump" or "pop" when the amp is
connected, and the drive unit is toast.

--
cliveb