Impeller;159588 Wrote:
> According to the staff, the British electronics and build beats Rotel by
> a long way. Anyway; we're listening to a RA-05 and some Monitor Audio
> BR2s elsewhere this Friday.
>
> As always, your input is welcome. Thanks.

Ah, he used the "Buy British" line... If I remember correctly, the
Rotel amplifiers are designed in Britain, and I remember British cars
from the 70's ;) One of the worst designed amplifier I ever has seen
was one Sugden model from the 80's!

I don't believe that there is a big difference in quality between Arcam
and Rotel - decide after you have listened the RA-05.

It is unusual to go for a system where the speakers are much cheaper
than the amplifier - especially in your price range. My philosophy has
been that the speakers should cost the same as the amp - or more.

Tom

PS. Sorry that I sound a bit negative in the first bit. Actually I like
the sound philosophy of British Hifi - it hasn't always been as well put
together or as good looking as the Japanese stuff. Arcam and Audiolab
are two brands one of the brands that has combined good looks, good
build and good sound.

PPS. There was nothing wrong with the sound of the Sugden Amp either.

--
tomsi42

SB3, Rotel RC-1070/RB-1070, dynaBel Exact, Kimber Kable 4TC and Timbre.