pablolie;183574 Wrote:
> > ... An "appliance player" typically has one shot at reading
> > the CD in real time - and is therefore more prone to all sorts
> > of issues compared to using a ROM drive to rip with re-reads,
> > buffered, asynchronously ...
>
> In that case the quality of the music using our regular CD players
> should always have been inferior, I assume. And I think that goes
> contrary to my experience. For some reason I still think I get the best
> listening experience out of the original CD on my CD player.
>
> The whole "perfect RIP" theory... I don't know how much I buy into its
> effect as sound improvement. I know the basic theory is that red book
> stuff allows for some issues in the process of converting from CD. Then
> again, then we should worry about the SB's SRAM being quite likely to
> flip bits here and there as cosmic rays do their evil things (and they
> do so easily on SRAM).
>
> So is the quest for the ultimate bit perfect rip, storage and real time
> reproduction of songs the next frontier for high end esoteric audio?

I think I'm missing your point. What idea are you pushing promoting
your theory of cosmir rays? That's just nonesence, we're not talking
about long transmission lines, which are always prone to all kind of
problems. We're talking of a computer, normally in steel or aluminium
case - how often can you detect cosmic rays inside of it? Well,
neutrino could certainly pass through...

Did you ever consider that internally correctable error just doesn't
exist from the "outside" perspective? This is why computers actually
work, using all kinds of memory, including SRAM, and nobody cares of
cosmic rays as long as you can maintain your data integrity.

You mentioned you tend to enjoy your CD player much more then anything
compter based. Ma be you should just try to figure out why. Reasons
normally much simpler: you didn't have properly built system -
something like missed extra resampling some popular cards do; you could
pick EMI/RF noise from computer; you used different analog stage and/or
cabling, etc.

--
325xi

simaudio nova cdp >> simaudio moon i-5 >> revel performa m20 via
acoustic zen matrix reference ii and acoustic zen satori

-planned additions:... >> deq2496 >> lavry da-10 >>...-