> ... I think I'm missing your point. What idea are you pushing
> promoting your theory of cosmir rays?

(a) It's not my theory. It's a proven (and solved, for the applications
where it matters) issue.

(b) It was just a way to illustrate that the utter obsession on every
single bit seems to miss the point of audio. It's a matter of reducing
it to very low error rates.

And you seemed to made the point the superiority of computer based audo
is its supposed ability to utterly eliminate bit errors, and if I am
attributing it to you wrongly I apologize - it's a claim that was made
earlier in this thread. And I have simply never seen any data or proof
or material anywhere that shows that a red book audio CD playing in a
regular CD player is plagued by enough bit errors to fundamentally make
it inferior to a PC-based system where the CD has been ripped into it.

There is no reason why, in prinicple, the latter can't sound just as
good as the high end CD player. I never stated otherwise. All of us
with a SB know that, and appreciate it. All I am saying is my own CD
player to this day sounds better than *my* PC system, and that I doubt
I'd hear the PC system sound *better* if I invested effort in getting
it there. Yeah, my audio chain is pretty good. It'd be great to have a
system that is more compact and versatile, which is where the PC system
will eventually play its trump card - it will be that, not sound
quality, in my opinion, because existing high end audio has reached a
very high evolutionary stage where it seems too good for the vast
majority of recorded material out there...

So the deal is: I believe PC based systems will win out, and look
forward to it. But it's more due to convenience and versatility rather
than sound quality, which is pretty darn good in audiophile systems as
it is.

That's just nonesence, we're not talking about long transmission lines,
which are always prone to all kind of problems. We're talking of a
computer, normally in steel or aluminium case - how often can you
detect cosmic rays inside of it? Well, neutrino could certainly pass
through...

Did you ever consider that internally correctable error just doesn't
exist from the "outside" perspective? This is why computers actually
work, using all kinds of memory, including SRAM, and nobody cares of
cosmic rays as long as you can maintain your data integrity.

You mentioned you tend to enjoy your CD player much more then anything
compter based. Ma be you should just try to figure out why. Reasons
normally much simpler: you didn't have properly built system -
something like missed extra resampling some popular cards do; you could
pick EMI/RF noise from computer; you used different analog stage and/or
cabling, etc.

--
pablolie