parrydave;185952 Wrote:

> Should I be looking at rerouting both the 3.3V and 5V Dac supply?  The
> 5V Dac supply is most critical right? could this feed directly from the
> external supply or will I introduce all kinds of mush into the mix? I
> can't fit a superReg inside the SB3.  Also is there an option to get
> the 3.3V feed from the linear reg for the headphone amp? This is
> supplied directly from the external 5V.
>
> Any thoughts appreciated.

Hopefully someone who has direct experience will chime in, but..

The idea is to have a 5V supply going to the DAC that is separate from
the internal switching supplies. The app note* recommends deriving the
3.3V digital input to the DAC from a linear reg fed by the 5V input. I
suppose you could check the circuit that the 3.3V follows, and figure
you'll be OK with an external feed to the 5V only.

I have read about the headphone supply being routed to the clock, if
I'm not mistaken, so that might be an option. Seems like a lot of work
just to upgrade the 3.3V DAC linear reg, that's fed by a super reg.
though.

http://focus.ti.com/lit/ds/symlink/pcm1748.pdf
(fig. 28,29,30)

--