ezkcdude;214087 Wrote:
> SO, WRITING WITH A PENCIL AND PRINTING WITH A LASER PRINTER ARE SIMILAR
> BECAUSE THEY BOTH INVOLVE PUTTING WORDS ON PAPER?
>
> I agree that digital consists of 1's and 0's, but actually writing and
> reading those 1's and 0's is the "devil in the details", so to speak.

What??

If you're referring to the recording process, then yes, absolutely,
both achieve the same result provided they're done accurately enough
that the words can be read back again without error. And the reverse is
true as well - whether you read a handwritten article or a printed one,
the information is exactly, identically the same.

Does this web page, for example, look different whether you downloaded
it via wired Ethernet or over wi-fi? Can you tell by looking at this
post whether I'm using a wired or a wireless connection right now? The
transport medium is completely different in both cases, so what's the
effect on the data?

pfarrell;214074 Wrote:
> It depends. An audio CD player reads the music per the RedBook spec. A
> PC uses CD-EX to Extract the data. It is not the same.

Yes, it is. Both are extracting the raw bit stream that's stamped into
the disc, performing the same mathematical decoding process on it and
ending up with the same PCM audio data.

> Way back in the 90s, many PC CD-rom drives could not do the extraction
> (which is essentially reading the digital data as you would read a hard
> disk sector).
>
> The normal RedBook way to read the music off a disk is very different.
> The error correction is different, etc. Most of this is due to the very
> limited capabilities of microcontrollers at the time when the RedBook
> spec was written.

So the error correcting codes specified for CD-DA vs CD-ROM are
different. So what? The biggest problem was actually the inability to
do a random seek to a particular sector of an audio disc because
there's no sophisticated index like there is on a CD-ROM - but that's
like saying that a book whose pages aren't numbered is different from a
book whose pages are. (Maybe the book with page numbering is also
printed in a slightly different, clearer font too - but you get my
point).

> I believe, that if the spec had been written just five years later, it
> would have been very different, using more of a digital approach from
> the start.

Huh?

--
AndyC_772