I don't know if this has been suggested before (and if it has then I
humbly apologise)...but:

With all this hypothesising about clock degradation, jitter etc making
digital transports "sound" different - why can't we really prove this?
What would it take to progressively introduce noise or other spuriae
onto a SPDIF connection and see (or rather listen to) what happens?

What happens if we slap an RC network across a SPDIF, thus messing up
the clock waveform recovery
?
What happens if we hit a toslink with a big hammer?

Is it possible to devise controlled tests for these scenarios?

--
Phil Leigh

ain't what you'd call minimal...

...SB3+TACT+Altmann+MF DACXV3/Linn tri-amped Aktiv 5.1 system and some
very expensive cables ;o)