The fact is the Audiophiles gain as much enjoyment from tinkering with
the gear, compare it, thinking about it, touch it and re-arrange it as
a listening to room optimized sound. There is nothing wrong with that!
What has happened in the last few years is that “good enough” audio
gear is available at reasonable prices; you just have to mine it out
from the ton of garbage mixed with it. The “mining process” is actually
one of the main Audiophiles sources of delight: the result of that
romantic tension towards the unrealized Audio Nirvana dream. Once you
buy “it” the post-purchase guilt is likely to sneak in and spoil the
fun (definitely true for expensive audio cables).
Same is happening with most mainstream cars (finally!). The
value-segment is now comfortable enough, powerful enough and with
enough quality. BMW has to put a V10 -500hp in their M5 to rise above a
Saturn V6 Aura. BTW modern 4 cylinders are arguably an even better
value.
Most cars/hifi gear selection choices can be directly linked to those
compulsions that we acquire as child and never leave us:  peer
pressure, seeking the alpha male status or compensating for some
perceived deficiencies… Which is why my 5w stereo… Just kidding.
We (first world – employed guys and girls), for the first time in
history, live in the world of plenty. Spend your $ responsibly. On the
other hand buy the $7000 cable and put your wealth back in the economy
life cycle. But when you click the “check-out” button keep you hart
rate low, you know, to reduce CO2 emissions.

--
arge