If I had to guess at what the difference is between a better performing
cable and an inferior cable,  for instance the Belden 1800f vs Monster
cable or Whirlwind as the inferior cable, it would be a combination of
frequency response and distortion.  The more accurate the playback
equipment and room, the more influential small amounts of distortion or
frequency irregularities will impact the overall sound.

What I have found as that I have upgraded my system, new flaws that
were imperceptible (or masked by bigger problems) before are found and
become more difficult to solve.  For instance, upgrading to a more
expensive cd player or DAC like the SB3 to the Transporter is a fairly
easy change to make, it just requires additional funds and the
knowledge or experimentation to determine which of the more expensive
CD units are worth it.  Some companies are marketing based, others are
engineering based and if I'm spending a large amount of money on audio
gear, I'd rather buy one where the funds have gone into engineering.
However, once you have high performance from your amps, speakers, and
source, and improved room acoustics, the cabling and power while making
less noticeable or less cost efficient differences in the beginning, now
must be focused on to improve the level of the system.

Just as acousticians discuss improving the acoustics so that the room
can handle higher levels of spl without adding acoustic distortion, as
you listen at higher volumes the impact of distortion and coloration by
cables becomes readily apparent.

I'm not familiar with the measurements for distortion.  Can they
measure the full frequency spectrum?  If there is an analog form of
jitter induced by cabling that increases harshness on transients and
clouds the audio information by creating random electronic micro-echoes
of the signal due to timing irregularities of the signal, would this be
measured by today's distortion test?

I'd like to volunteer my system for testing if anyone else in the San
Francisco Bay Area would like to conduct these electrical tests or even
double blind testing.

The ATC speakers I use are known for their exceptionally low distortion
and uniquely precise accuracy and imaging, among other engineering
advances, and are used by top mastering engineers, recording engineers,
movie scoring stages, composers, and performers.  I'm including this as
both a shameless plug (I'm in the process of opening a showroom) and
because I think they are unique at highlighting sonic differences in
things like cables.  Speakers are only as good as the information you
feed them and the room they are in, and you will never be able to hear
what your speakers can't recreate accurately.

Transporter -> ATC SCA2 -> ATC SCM100ASLT
Ayre C5xe -> ATC SCA2 -> ATC SCM100ASLT

--
musiklov3r