Phil Leigh;353521 Wrote:

> I guess the bottom line is that in bypass mode the TACT is not
> "bit-perfect".
> I think that must be the explanation.

That can't be the bottom line - this is a *major* bug if in fact it's
what we think it is.  That waveform is distorted at easily audible
levels, which is completely inexcusable under ordinary operation let
alone in a digital bypass mode.  I've been toying with the idea of
buying a TACT, but this has really given me pause.

Can you borrow a laptop?  I'm not certain about this, but I thought
with the right software most audio line-ins could be used to record
S/PDIF.  That would settle this once and for all.

> There's something else odd happening too. There seems to be a difference
> between if I use a WAV squarewave and a FLAC squarewave generated
> directly out of Audacity. I know this makes no sense - unless Audacity
> is using a defective FLAC encoder... more tests are required to see
> what is going on. All the photos etc I've posted and results reported
> so far have been using WAV files.

That makes no sense, unless perhaps you've changed the sampling rate
and/or bit depth as well or there's a bug.  There are lots of ways to
test and find the bug if it's there (use an external flac compressor
and compare, use a flac decoder to wavify audacity's version of the
flac and compare to the wav, etc. etc.).

--
opaqueice