Just eliminated another variable:
1) 16-bit vs 24-bit files - no difference
2) downloaded another test tone generator (NCH) and that produces
identical results to Audacity.

I've done lots of googling and can find no reference to the AD1896 ASRC
chip misbehaving itself in this way. That only leaves the surrounding
TACT operating system as the source of the problem...or maybe, just
maybe the bypass setting isn't quite as "bypass" as it might be?

Next step is to try and digitally record the SPDIF out of the TACT.
I'll see if I can borrow some equipment...

But - I'm pretty confident in the scope display right now.

I agree this can't be jitter-related... at least not in the
conventional sense.

--
Phil Leigh

ain't what you'd call minimal...SB3+Stontronics PSU - Altmann
JISCO/UPCI - TACT 2.2X (Linear PSU) + Good Vibrations S/W - MF
Triplethreat(Audiocom full mods)- Linn 5103 - Aktiv 5.1 system (6x
LK140's, ESPEK/TRIKAN/KATAN/SEIZMIK 10.5), Townsend Supertweeters,
Kimber & Chord cables
Outdoors: Boombox+Creative Sub (If I remember to turn it on...)