opaqueice;353333 Wrote:
> Another thought - does the TACT have a digital output?  If so, try
> recording it playing that 1kHz square wave using a soundcard digital
> input.  That will give you a file which has never been in the analogue
> domain and hence cannot be affected by jitter (unless it's so bad it's
> causing bit errors, but that's extremely unlikely and would be easy to
> test for anyway).

It it went through ASRC then it has in fact been affected by the analog
domain. ASRC deals with two non-synchronized PCM signals, so variances
in the frequencies of the input relative to the output (an analog
quantity) will affect the data that is calculated - that's basically
the whole point of it. Admittedly, this is about the extent of my
understanding of ASRC.

Still, no amount of jitter would explain the gross distortion of that
waveform. I'm still going with an algorithmic bug.

--
seanadams