MDSmith;410393 Wrote:
> there must be a middle ground here.  I am not going to convert all of my
> CDs to FLAC so they work with the Transporter as that causes an issue
> with my iPod. As mentioned, before the proverbial Catch 22!

I know too well what you mean!  I hate maintaining two copies of
everything, but that's actually what I'm doing right now...  Flac on
Linux for Squeeze center, and Apple lossless on OSX for the ipod.  But
to even get down to two, I had to throw out an ipod shuffle, because it
won't do lossless, and iTunes wouldn't allow me to transcode to better
than 128...

It should be noted though, that some of the problem lies with Apple.
AFAIK, they have never released their lossless codec algorithms
(certainly not to the open source world), they've only provided hooks
to allow you to use iTunes or QuickTime to compress or expand.  Those
tools that don't rely on Apple software, reverse engineered the
codec...  That means they're always at the mercy of Apple making
changes....

--
DCtoDaylight

Audiophile wish list: Zero Distortion, Infinite Signal to Noise Ratio,
and a Bandwidth from DC to Daylight