Phil Leigh;419513 Wrote:
> ah. hmmm...
> But don't dacs auto-detect the clock frequency from the recovered spdif
> clock? Is this about supporting a mixture of sample rate files?

I expose the DAC could detect the clock F, but why not do it as
intended
with the encoding in the bitstream - it's a LOT easier.  Think what
the
way you suggest is - a reference with a counter and error bounds and
two oscillators talking to each other and and and.

What I will do is read the speed encoding from the S/PDIF, and use
that
to power up one oscillator that will generate 96 or 48 kHz, or power
up another oscillator that will generate 88.2 or 44.1 kHz.  The
oscillator
will drive the word clock out and the read side of the digital filter
and
the DAC chips.  This is the IDEAL method to clock a DAC, and in fact
the
entire audio chain now has only a few ps of jitter in the one place it
matters- the DAC chip inputs.

If one was going to build the best audio music system they possibly
could,
what Sean has advised, and what I am building, is the way one would go
about doing it.  About the only thing I'm missing is paralleling, say,
4 DAC
chips and offsetting time samples to the DACs by 90 degrees.  THat's
for
another day and involves more work.

Having the source clock driving the CD platter is in fact the worst
possible
way to make a digital music system and it is the most common method.
Why?
Simple - its the cheapest.

--
wayne325