seanadams;419572 Wrote:
> Huh? No you couldn't. The whole point of the DAC being in word clock
> mode is that the source is going to give you the bits at whatever rate
> the _DAC_ is running.
>

> Well, actually I'd consider it optimal to not deal with s/pdif and word
> clocking at all... this is what Transporter does by itself.
>

> I don't understand this at all.
>

> Driving the platter isn't the problem, and it doesn't work the way
> people might imagine from their experience with turntables or tapes. In
> a CD player, the clock drives the PCM output and this _pulls_ data from
> the platter via a buffer. The distinction being that the mechanical
> parts are NOT part of the timing path (as they are with analog media).
> So it's not nearly as bad as a lot of people think - jitter is nothing
> at all like wow/flutter - it happens on a time scale a billion times
> smaller.

On the "word clock not matching" thing, I was thinking "sample rate
converter"
chip in-line.  Then it doesn't matter too much if there's a mismatch -
that
was going to be the case anyhow if the word clock was not being used.

So the thing about the 4 DACs is a patent owned by Wadia.  It's in
their
9xx series devices.  What they teach is to have 4 DAC chips per
differential
half of a balanced signal - so that's 8 DAC chips per audio channel; a
stereo
pair has 16 DAC chips.  The DAC chips are all connected at their
current
outputs, so the output current is 4x a single DAC chip and the I/V
converter
then has to take this into account - simple enough.  Now the trick is
that since there are 4 DAC chips in parallel, you don't fire off
samples
to all 4 of them at the same time, you fire off a sample to DAC0 at
phase 0,
then you fire off a sample to DAC1 at 90 degrees, etc.  Of course
you've
already upsampled to at least a factor of 4 and dithered and...... to
obtain 4 different output streams per channel.  If you're really good I
guess
you even correlate the dither between + and - of a phase / channel so
that
the dithering is differentially rejected.  Shoot, maybe that's a patent
in
its own right somewhere.  Maybe Wadia has that one too.  I'm just a
hobbyist
so I could make my own system like this and although strictly I'm not
allowed to, the harm to the patent owner is nil - I'm not going to buy
an
audio system that expensive ever.  Plus the barrier to entry is
extremely
high as one needs custom hardware (read: FPGAs) to duplicate something
so complex.  It would take hundreds of hours to duplicate the setup.
(and
guess who designs FPGAs for a living - :-) )

I don't know the patent number, if you search, you'll probably find
it.

Interesting stuff about the transport / clock source, I wondered if
the
output data was taken from a FIFO.  So what the word clock to the
Transporter
is, is exactly the same thing except the DAC is external and the clock
loop
is a bit bigger.  The key is, the jitter is held to nearly 0 and is not
function of S/PDIF or cables or the transport or....  (in this setup a
$10
transport sounds the same as a $50,000 transport and anyone who tells
you
they can hear a difference is a liar - all the transport has to do is
get
the correct bits to the DAC; the DAC controls ALL of the jitter at the
I output of the DAC chips).

With a $2000 Transporter that delivers 96/24, I wouldn't want to be
selling
high end transports any more.  I guess they'll always have a place, but
think in 20 years most of us will use our laptop with an external HDD
play our music from - well for the digital music anyhow.

So Sean, please do tell if you can - what, if any, is the plan for a
192 kHz
sample rate capable machine along the lines of the Transporter?

Also - is there any plan for a "real" transport-only device that has
no
DACs inside?  Probably very small market and it makes no sense for you
to make such a beast but on the flip side, those with external DACS
are
paying a lot of cash for a lot of stuff they don't use.

Cheers guys.  I'm enjoying this.

--
wayne325