duke43j;426351 Wrote:
> I've been looking into passive preamps on the web. They sound
> interesting because they should ideally have no noise or distortion. The
> biggest issue is the input and output impedance, and how well it matches
> up with the source and power amp. Based on some of the articles, it
> seems they can be fussy. Some people are saying that they only sound
> good over a limited range of volume settings. Others are saying you need
> ultra-low capacitance cables.
>
> Does anybody have experience using one in their system?

Having built a few passives using very high quality parts, I would
agree with everything you've written. Also, modern active devices have
no noise and no distortion - well, they are so low as to be
meaningless/undetectable.
Passives can create a "sat upon" sound, lacking in life. Cables are
extra important since they form a very obvious part of an LRC circuit in
passives.
YMMV.

--
Phil Leigh

ain't what you'd call minimal...
SB3 (wired) - TACT 2.2X (Linear PSU) + Good Vibrations S/W - MF
Triplethreat(Audiocom full mods) - Linn 5103 - Aktiv 5.1 system (6x
LK140's, ESPEK/TRIKAN/KATAN/SEIZMIK 10.5), Townsend Supertweeters, Blue
Jeans Digital,Kimber Speaker & Chord Interconnect cables
Outdoors: Boom