duke43j;426351 Wrote:
> I've been looking into passive preamps on the web. They sound
> interesting because they should ideally have no noise or distortion. The
> biggest issue is the input and output impedance, and how well it matches
> up with the source and power amp. Based on some of the articles, it
> seems they can be fussy. Some people are saying that they only sound
> good over a limited range of volume settings. Others are saying you need
> ultra-low capacitance cables.
>
> Does anybody have experience using one in their system?

There are some very nice passive preamps (really a misnomer) available.
The biggest issue in my opinion is what and why you would be using one.

You haven't told us what you have in mind, what you would use it with,
and why? I love my tube pre-amp and have had some very expensive
passives in my system. The best in my opinion is to just not have any if
one doesn't need to switch componets, just a Transporter and an amp.
About as passive as it gets!

--
iPhone

*iPhone*
Media Room:
Transporter, VTL TL-6.5 Signature Pre-Amp, Ayre MX-R Mono's,
Vandersteen Quatro, VeraStarr 6.4SE 6-channel Amp, VCC-5 Reference
Center, four VSM-1 Signatures, Runco RS 900 CineWide AutoScope 2.35:1

Living Room:

Kitchen: Squeezebox BOOM
Bedroom: SB3, GFR-700HD, Thiel 2.3, Second Boom
Home Office: SB3, NAD C370, two VSM-1
Home Gym: SB3, Parasound Vamp v.3, Thiel PowerPoint 1.2
House Portable: SB3, Audioengine A5
Thunderbird: Duet, Mac Mini
Expedition: SB3, ToughBook