duke43j;426731 Wrote:
> Hi iPhone. My VTL 2.5 preamp has quite a bit of noise through my
> speakers. The noise is quite audible from 9 ft away during quiet
> passages (not noticeable during moderate or loud passages). New tubes
> solve the problem for a month or two, but they eventually get noisy
> also. The preamp is also connected to my surround processor, so it is
> turned on quite a bit of the time. I like its smooth sound, but it does
> roll off a bit on the high end. When I connected my Benchmark DAC
> directly to my amp the noise went away (which I expected), but also the
> highs were more extended and the bass was quicker. Always looking for a
> way to improve things, I started looking into preamps when I discovered
> the idea of passive preamps. As I've said above, they sound good on
> paper (no active components to introduce noise or distortion), but the
> casual comments I've read on the web lead me to believe they are tricky
> to integrate into a system. I really don't want to make it a career to
> continuously fiddle with the system to get it to sound right. On the
> other hand, if I only need to be careful about using an amp with a high
> input impedance (mine is 100K), I'd still be interested in them.

I am kind of thinking what Phil is that your VTL Pre-amp has a major
problem that needs repaired. I would also see if the dealer will let you
borrow a higher model VTL that has Balanced XLR connectors. That alone
should be a huge improvement.

Really two routes to go here in my mind from what I think your driving
at. Either go dedicated stereo music listening only and use the SB3 as
the volume device with fixed attenuators (or upgrade to a Transporter)
or move up the line as far as active pre-amps go. The VTL 6.5 has
Balanced XLRs and Home Theater Bypass and there are other good pre-amps
with XLRs and Bypass as well (but I'm a tube pre-amp guy). The Ayre
Pre-amps would really sound great with what you currently have.

I have used passives in the past and tried them recently, some good
some bad. The biggest thing I have seen is that it takes big bucks to do
one right that has multiple sources. Which always leads me back to the
KISS principle, Squeezebox Source (SB3 or Transporter), high quality
fixed attenuators, amp, and lastly speakers. When I really want to go
native, I run the Transporter straight into the Ayre Mono-Blocks and it
is truly amazing how the Vandersteens sound with only Source, Amp, and
themselves. If I didn't watch a movie almost daily, I would probably
leave it that way.

--
iPhone

*iPhone*
Media Room:
Transporter, VTL TL-6.5 Signature Pre-Amp, Ayre MX-R Mono's,
Vandersteen Quatro, VeraStarr 6.4SE 6-channel Amp, VCC-5 Reference
Center, four VSM-1 Signatures, Runco RS 900 CineWide AutoScope 2.35:1

Living Room:

Kitchen: Squeezebox BOOM
Bedroom: SB3, GFR-700HD, Thiel 2.3, Second Boom
Home Office: SB3, NAD C370, two VSM-1
Home Gym: SB3, Parasound Vamp v.3, Thiel PowerPoint 1.2
House Portable: SB3, Audioengine A5
Thunderbird: Duet, Mac Mini
Expedition: SB3, ToughBook