I've been doing some reading on this in my search for an external DAC
for my own system. I believe that older DAC designs were very
susceptible to jitter, and reclockers had a useful function in reducing
the jitter before it reached the DAC. The more modern DAC designs that
contain asynchronous rate converters are much more tolerant of jitter.
That being the case, I believe a reclocker won't give you much of an
improvement when used with a modern DAC. (I expect a loud chorus of
replies with that remark.) Also, the older DACs were based on a
resistive ladder approach which had linearity problems. The newer
designs are based on a delta-sigma scheme and are much more linear. I
would suggest you try a modern DAC such as the Benchmark or Cambridge
Audio and see how it sounds. I think you will be quite pleased with the
performance without an external reclocker. You could always add a
reclocker later, but I don't think you'll find it necessary.

--
duke43j