timequest;427061 Wrote:
> I tend to agree, however I continue to read about SB users utilizing the
> Pace-Car re-clocker in conjunction with very high quality modern
> external DACs.  Why would this be necessary unless the external DAC
> isn’t effective at reducing the jitter it is being fed?  Obviously
> marketing comes into play…but who’s marketing – the re-clocker’s, or the
> DAC manufacturer’s?  I realize too, that there is some real science at
> “play” here.  According to the designer, my external DAC is measured at
> less than 1ps jitter (0.005% @ 10 kHz; 0.0038 @14 kHz; 0.002% @20 kHz);
> but what do these low numbers really mean?  Does this mean that the DAC
> is reducing the jitter from the transport down to these very low specs?
> If so, I can’t see the need for a re-clocking device (unless 0.005%
> jitter is audible).  However, there appears to be some science (and
> marketing) behind the concept that a re-clocker can significantly
> improve jitter in devices like the SB3/Duet – even when these devices
> are used in conjunction with external DACs.  Can someone help me
> understand this…maybe sort through the science/marketing?
If we take the Benchmark as an example they publish specs showing that
output distortion doesn't change as input jitter is increased. The
take-home point is that the measurements (whatever you think of them)
don't change when the input jitter changes.

http://www.benchmarkmedia.com/system1/files/documents/DAC1.pdf

Either they are printing drivel or you don't need a re-clocker. There
doesn't appear to be a middle ground. I don't have a Benchmark and I've
no plans to buy one so I've no point to prove. I'm just saying. :)
Darren

--
darrenyeats

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/richpub/listmania/byauthor/A3H57URKQB8AQO/ref=cm_pdp_content_listmania/203-7606506-5721503.

(Inguz bass EQ'd) SB3 -> (pre bypassed) Krell KAV-300i -> PMC AB-1
(caps bass EQ'd) Laptop -> Genius Slab SW-flat2.1 700
SB3 / Rio Karma / Laptop -> JVC UX-C30 / Sennheiser PX-100