duke43j;426889 Wrote:
> I've been doing some reading on this in my search for an external DAC
> for my own system. I believe that older DAC designs were very
> susceptible to jitter, and reclockers had a useful function in reducing
> the jitter before it reached the DAC. The more modern DAC designs that
> contain asynchronous rate converters are much more tolerant of jitter.
> That being the case, I believe a reclocker won't give you much of an
> improvement when used with a modern DAC. (I expect a loud chorus of
> replies with that remark.) Also, the older DACs were based on a
> resistive ladder approach which had linearity problems. The newer
> designs are based on a delta-sigma scheme and are much more linear. I
> would suggest you try a modern DAC such as the Benchmark or Cambridge
> Audio and see how it sounds. I think you will be quite pleased with the
> performance without an external reclocker. You could always add a
> reclocker later, but I don't think you'll find it necessary.

I tend to agree, however I continue to read about SB users utilizing
the Pace-Car re-clocker in conjunction with very high quality modern
external DACs.  Why would this be necessary unless the external DAC
isn’t effective at reducing the jitter it is being fed?  Obviously
marketing comes into play…but who’s marketing – the re-clocker’s, or the
DAC manufacturer’s?  I realize too, that there is some real science at
“play” here.  According to the designer, my external DAC is measured at
less than 1ps jitter (0.005% @ 10 kHz; 0.0038 @14 kHz; 0.002% @20 kHz);
but what do these low numbers really mean?  Does this mean that the DAC
is reducing the jitter from the transport down to these very low specs?
If so, I can’t see the need for a re-clocking device (unless 0.005%
jitter is audible).  However, there appears to be some science (and
marketing) behind the concept that a re-clocker can significantly
improve jitter in devices like the SB3/Duet – even when these devices
are used in conjunction with external DACs.  Can someone help me
understand this…maybe sort through the science/marketing?

--
timequest