darrenyeats;427085 Wrote:
> If we take the Benchmark as an example they publish specs showing that
> output distortion doesn't change as input jitter is increased. The
> take-home point is that the measurements (whatever you think of them)
> don't change when the input jitter changes.
>
> http://www.benchmarkmedia.com/system1/files/documents/DAC1.pdf
>
> Either they are printing drivel or you don't need a re-clocker. There
> doesn't appear to be a middle ground. I don't have a Benchmark and I've
> no plans to buy one so I've no point to prove. I'm just saying. :)
> Darren

This is what I want to believe, that the jitter issue is resolved by
using a good DAC with low jitter measurements.  If this was simply the
case however, then why would the minimum length of the digital cable
necessarily be a factor; if the DAC would “correct” any jitter issues,
why even worry about what’s upstream from the DAC?  Discussions
regarding the importance of minimizing jitter in the digital cable
(i.e.: lengths of 1.5 meters or more), or by re-clocking the signal
before the DAC, leads me to believe there is more to the issue of
reducing jitter than simply incorporating a “low-jitter” DAC.  I would
like to have a better understanding…

--
timequest