timequest;427581 Wrote:
> I love the Transporter, don't get me wrong.  Truth is, immediate A/B
> comparisons on the dealer’s best system reveled that the Cullen Stage IV
> PS Audio DL-III clearly sounded better than the TP (DAC connected to TP
> – A/B with/without) - there's no other way to say it, everyone there
> heard the difference.  I want to get the newest PSA DAC, the PWD, which
> has true I2S inputs (in the way of HDMI connectors).  I really want to
> see if I can mod the Duet receiver with an I2S output.  Is that doable?

Hmmm... so how carefully was this test done? - were the outputs of the
TP and DAC level matched to within <0.5dB? If not, the test is highly
suspect.

Can you describe why you felt the DAC was "better"? There are two
fundamental differences in play... the digital/jitter aspect where TP
has a theoretically much better implementation than anything using
SPDIF...and the final analogue circuitry where component choices and
circuit design will "voice" the sound differently in the two products.
The DAC chip itself is involved in both aspects as are the power supply
arrangements.

IMHO you should look for a DAC with word-clock out and try that with
the duet(suitably modded). This will outperform using i2s into a DAC.

--
Phil Leigh

ain't what you'd call minimal...
SB3 (wired) - TACT 2.2X (Linear PSU) + Good Vibrations S/W - MF
Triplethreat(Audiocom full mods) - Linn 5103 - Aktiv 5.1 system (6x
LK140's, ESPEK/TRIKAN/KATAN/SEIZMIK 10.5), Townsend Supertweeters, Blue
Jeans Digital,Kimber Speaker & Chord Interconnect cables
Outdoors: Boom