results, please visit http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=64028
Question: To what is your Transporter connected

- Preamp
- Poweramp

Ozz;442251 Wrote:
> My Arcam P1's both have balanced xlr connections so can I connect the TP
> directly to the P1's with my balanced XLR cables without an external
> attenuators?
Yes you can, but the gain staging might be sub-optimal. If when you
connect it up like this you find that at 100% volume setting on the TP
it's louder than you'd ever want, you should add some passive
attenuation.

Have a look at these wiki pages:
http://wiki.slimdevices.com/index.php/Connect_To_PowerAmp
http://wiki.slimdevices.com/index.php/BalancedPowerAmps
http://wiki.slimdevices.com/index.php/DIYPassiveAttenuation

Ozz;442251 Wrote:
> Next question: are the IR connections just 12V trigger for the amps?
No. In their "native form" they send and receive IR codes to/from other
equipment (with assistance from the IR Blaster plugin).

If you want to get some kind of trigger signal to switch the power amps
on/off with the TP, they can easily be arranged that way, using Felix's
PowerSwitchII plugin
(http://www.gwendesign.com/slimserver/dev_hard_and_software.htm#powerswitchii).
What you get out of the IR socket using this plugin is a DC signal of
about 3.2V, not 12V. If your amps have a 12V trigger input, then you can
step it up using a transistor as described on Felix's page. Note that
this requires an external power supply.

However, what you say next changes things slightly...

Ozz;442251 Wrote:
> My Spouse would love to see less hardware in the main listening room and
> I can start by getting rid of the Pre-amp... crossing my fingers that
> she loves it and then I will spring the new ATC actives on her to
> replace the 2 Mono-blocks and the current ATC passives :-)
Go for it. Passive ATCs? - you heretic! :-)

If you plan to get active ATCs, then (unless ATC have recently added a
DC triggering facility), you'll need to switch the mains power. The most
elegant way to do this is to use an opto-isolated triac (eg. MOC3020 or
similar) switching a power relay with a mains voltage AC coil. This
requires no external power supply (the mains power you're switching is
itself the power for the relay coil). You'll need to add a resistor
(about 75 ohms) to step the 3.2V down to about 1.2V, which is the
voltage needed to switch the opto-triac. (This same arrangement can of
course be used to switch the mains power to your Arcam monoblocks in the
meantime).

--
cliveb

Transporter -> ATC SCM100A