Phil Leigh wrote:
> Don't disagree with any of this... my Beatles point was that the
> multi-tracks are inherently "pre-eq'd" by the nature of the equipment
> in use at the time

Cute phrase. That is what all the knobs on studio consoles are for, many
of them are a per-track EQ. You setup the EQ and hit record.

Perhaps a few guys would ride the EQ, but most of the time it was set
and left alone.

The big point about Beatles era recording was that it was done to tape,
and all analog tape has a built in soft limit, hit it too hard, and it
doesn't go all square wave, it just gets nearly flat. Using the natural
roll off of an analog tape was part of the art of audio engineering.

--
Pat Farrell
http://www.pfarrell.com/