mswlogo;542880 Wrote:
> I agree with most of your points. Your point here is all I was saying
> when folks jumped all over it because they ran out of ideas in
> explaining why ditgital attenution doesn't cost anything.
>
> Your right it may be one track in an album. Or a  few. It's not worth
> losing skeep over. If I see a whole album with say 3dB or more
> headroom. I consider that being lazy. Than clipping a few inaudible
> peaks because they didn't cut it that close by accident.
>
> Re: Topic of attenuation. if you're happy with 14bits at 80 volume. All
> the power to ya. That test that was posted says it all. Some
> ears/systems may not notice it but others will.

I think we are close (ish) to agreeing. (24-bit) Digital Attenuation
costs SNR (nothing else). Can you hear 10-20dB of it? Depends on
several things but predominantly it depends on the average energy level
of the track - if it is a very quiet track you MIGHT hear the increased
noise floor relative to the track content. On a track with 0dB peaks
and an average level >
-40dB... I can't. Fortunately that's 99.9% of my collection - I'm still
looking for ones that might meet these criteria.

--
Phil Leigh

ain't what you'd call minimal...
Touch(wired/XP) - TACT 2.2X (Linear PSU) + Good Vibrations S/W - MF
Triplethreat(Audiocom full mods) - Linn 5103 - Aktiv 5.1 system (6x
LK140's, ESPEK/TRIKAN/KATAN/SEIZMIK 10.5), Townsend Supertweeters, Blue
Jeans Digital,Kimber Speaker & Chord Interconnect cables
Kitchen Boom, Outdoors: SB Radio