mswlogo;542777 Wrote:

> Because if it was 50% of the log scale that would be 48dB and I assure
> you the SqueezeBox DAC would not output the low 16bits of the DAC that
> well. Totally misleading.
No, it is 0.5db reduction per step downwards from 100 (0db) to 1
(-49.5db) then at 0 silence.
mswlogo;542880 Wrote:
> I agree with most of your points. Your point here is all I was saying
> when folks jumped all over it because they ran out of ideas in
> explaining why ditgital attenution doesn't cost anything.
>
> Your right it may be one track in an album. Or a  few. It's not worth
> losing skeep over. If I see a whole album with say 3dB or more
> headroom. I consider that being lazy. Than clipping a few inaudible
> peaks because they didn't cut it that close by accident.
>
> Re: Topic of attenuation. if you're happy with 14bits at 80 volume. All
> the power to ya. That test that was posted says it all. Some
> ears/systems may not notice it but others will.
Your calculations are wrong. 50 volume is -25db (not -48db). Do your
calculations all over again and (not that I have to tell you this) get
back to us. Let's see once you re-do your calculations whether your
opinion is just the same. I know what I'm betting.
Darren

--
darrenyeats

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/richpub/listmania/byauthor/A3H57URKQB8AQO/ref=cm_pdp_content_listmania/203-7606506-5721503.

(Inguz bass EQ'd) SB3 -> (pre bypassed) Krell KAV-300i -> PMC AB-1
(caps bass EQ'd) Desktop -> Genius Slab SW-flat2.1 700
Sennheiser HD 25-1 II