cliveb;549480 Wrote:

> But we're stuck with what we have now, so if you insist on using an
> external DAC fed from SPDIF, and if you believe that jitter is a
> practical problem, then you're going to have to try and reduce it by
> some kind of long-term averaging mechanism (long-timebase PLL,
> asynchronous SRC, memory buffering - they are all different ways of
> achieving the same outcome).

Only one comment. What Naim does is *not* the same. I'm not saying it
sounds better (it does to me, but thats personal pref. and possibly not
because of this), nor that it in fact has any practical relevance, or
that they in any way are "smarter" than the rest of the business
(though I applaud them for choosing such a simple and effective
solution). I may have other more subjective views on these matters, but
that is not the point of this thread. Only saying that
theoretically/principaly, they are not doing the same thing by virtue
of not using a signal-derived clock.

Other than that, I think we agree - even though this was really mostly
a sidetrack :)

--
bhaagensen