cliveb;549184 Wrote:
> Are you seriously suggesting that all the hoops Naim jump through is a
> simpler solution than just sending a feed from the DAC's clock to the
> transport? I respectfully suggest you have this completely the wrong
> way round.

Yes :) I simply don't see what the jumps and hoops are?

The system relies on the following:
- A RAM buffer. Nowadays its dead cheap. And the system only needs a
few MB to hold more data than can ever accumulated from averaging
differences in data-rates caused by jitter. And most DACs use a RAM
buffer anyway.
- Gauge the incoming data rate and choose an approriate clocking. Any
DAC supporting multiple sample rates must do this anyway. Again, most
DACs already do this.
- Clock the data out of the buffer using this average clock rate. This
is similar to what e.g. ASRC DACs do - they just don't use an internal
independent clock.
- Thats it!

On the other hand, among the benefits are:
- 100% interchangability and compatibility with past and present
equipement. A vast amount of digital players, TVs and whatnot, produced
the last 20-30 yrs have s/pdif out. Only a very small subset has
wordclock out.
- Its 100% up to the DAC manufacturer to set the quality level (as far
as jitter goes). They can do anything from spending a fortune (in some
metric) on PS/board design/clocks/etc or do nothing.
- Related. 100% independence of quality of the transport. AFAIK an
external clocking system also relies on the transport to be very well
made in order to obtain proper gains.

Obviously many details are needed for gluing the thing together. But
thats roughly it as I see it - as a good Occam's Razor-like solution.
Am I overlooking anything (and I'm not insisting I'm not)?

--
bhaagensen