cliveb;549133 Wrote:

> Quite so. Anything else is a band-aid solution. And that's why the
> Touch ought to have had a word clock input.

I too used to think so, but after getting to know the Naim DAC I'm not
so sure anymore. S/PDIF, as a transmission protocol, is less than
optimal in the time-dimension in terms of precision required for
precisely converting audio-data in a synchronous system. However, AFAIS
the timing-issues are so small that in terms of data-transmisson, it is
in practical applications easy to use S/PDIF as a semi-asynchronous
protocol (like Naim does) - and thereby clocking the DAC 100%
independently of the transport.

It seems so simple, that I'm starting to think that the complexity of
dedidated clock-lines is unnecessary (for the given application area).

--
bhaagensen