I agree with you that backwards-compatibility with all the extant SPDIF
sources that don't have word clock inputs is a very significant plus
point for any DAC. And I may have misunderstood how complicated the
Naim DAC is - all the explanations I've read make it out to be rather
complex.

However, I stand by my view that a word clock connection is more
straightforward. Moreover, it's the *correct* way to achieve the goal
of isolating the DAC from the effects of transport jitter. All
single-ended solutions (buffers, long-timebase PLLs, asynchronous SRC)
remain tied to the average clock rate of the transport, which
theoretically could vary in unexpected ways.

But as I've said before, I am not convinced that in practice transport
jitter is an issue in the first place.

--
cliveb

Transporter -> ATC SCM100A